Re: Google vs. DDG

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 11:45:59AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Here's a sort of example I just ran into [...]

> FWIW, I'm pretty sure that such anectodal evidence is of no importance
> because you can also come up with examples where the situation
> is reversed.

Still it might tell us something by "backscatter" :)

For example, I forced now DDG's hand by doing some "foo site:blah.blah".
Tomorrow I'll check again and see whether that site is in the index.

> This is simply because the subset of the internet that is indexed by the
> two search engines is not simply in a subset relation.  So the question
> is not whether such things happen, but how often they happen for your
> use-case one way compared to how it happens for your use-case the
> other way.

Yes, of course. Nobody can index the whole Internet these days ;-)

> BTW, as far as I know, DDB doesn't do its own indexing but it relies
> internally on Bing, so in the above is explained by the difference
> between Bing and Google.  Technically they could probably just as
> well rely on Google (or on both).

They do have an own crawler [1]. No idea of how much it contributes
to their data set, though.

Cheers

[1] https://help.duckduckgo.com/duckduckgo-help-pages/results/duckduckbot/

 - t