Re: Best desktop environment for multitouch touchscreen?

On 28-04-2021 19:04, Kasper Loopstra wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am trying to use a multi-touch monitor (Dell P2418HT) with Debian as
> a front-end for a media center setup. Ideally this system would work
> without having a mouse attached, and allow touching icons on some kind
> of Desktop or main screen to open specific webpages in Firefox and/or
> start programs.
>

> Having tried both KDE and Gnome I cannot really seem to get things to
> work the way I would like.
>
> KDE/Wayland: Works reasonably well, but the icons on the desktop do
> not respond to touch in any way, and the Start menu needs to be used.
>
> Gnome/Wayland: No longer has the concept of a Desktop, but even with
> the Desktop extension program shortcuts show up as files to be opened
> with a text-editor instead of "click and something happens".
>
> I've also briefly tried to use Kodi, but that does not seem to support
> launching external programs and/or webpages easily.

I don't know about the rest, but Kodi usually requires extensions
installed in order access external resources. Depending on where you
are, cross-border `intellectual property' stipulations sometimes get in
the way. Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems.
Cheers!

Harry.

--
"'Crazy' is a term of art; 'Insane' is a term of law.
Remember that, and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble."

--Hunter S. Thompson