Re: problem compiling linux-source-4.19

On 25/04/2021 20:23, John Covici wrote:
> Hi.  In the make bzImage step of compiling linux-source-4.19 I get the
> following error:
>
>   CC      arch/x86/hyperv/hv_init.o
>   arch/x86/hyperv/hv_init.c: In function ‘hyperv_init’:
>   arch/x86/hyperv/hv_init.c:338:52: error: expected expression before
>   ‘,’ token
>     guest_id = generate_guest_id(0, LINUX_VERSION_CODE, 0);
>                                                         ^
> 											 make[2]: ***
>   [scripts/Makefile.build:309: arch/x86/hyperv/hv_init.o] Error 1
>
> I am not trying to build the .deb package, just compiling.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'm going to guess that the caret is *supposed* to line up with the
second comma on that line, rather than the "0", but it's close enough.
It looks like "LINUX_VERSION_CODE" is undefined, so your code is being
parsed as "generate_guest_id(0, ,0);" which is invalid C code.

Questions, then:

 * Do you get the same error if you build vanilla Linux (i.e. from
kernel.org?

 * How are you invoking this build?

 * What C compiler (and what version thereof) are you using?

 * Is there a reason you need what's now quite an old kernel?