Re: Smart TV on WiFi as Extra Display

On Lu, 19 apr 21, 14:17:05, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> I'd like to use the TV as an extra display for my laptop. Basically,
> as if it were connected with an HDMI cable, but over the network. And
> use both displays, the same way one usually uses two displays.

It seems you mean to expand your desktop to the TV. There are other
possible uses for multiples displays, like running different X servers
on each, or using one of them occasionally for specific purposes for
which it's better suited, like using a TV for video ;)

> Unless there's a usage of x11vnc that I don't understand, there are
> two issues with using x11vnc for this purpose.
>
> * First, WebOS does not have any available VNC client apps, so there's
> no straightforward way of getting the TV to display the VNCed display.
>
> * Second, x11vnc allows remote viewing of an *existing* display. So if
> there were a vnc client for the TV, it would allow the display on my
> laptop to be mirrored to the TV, but would not make the TV into a
> second monitor.

As far as I can tell from the Wikipedia page x11vnc does have most of
the features you are looking for: it can work with a virtual display
(this appears to be similar to running two instances of X, so it might
not support stretching your desktop to it) and it has a Java viewer
applet that can be used to connect to it from a web browser.

> But this does suggest a way to achieve the goal. (a) Set up a virtual
> frame buffer which X/Wayland/whatever can see/configure. (b) Use
> x11vnc -clip to get just the virtual thing. (c) Implement some simple
> VNC client which takes a VNC display and broadcasts it using a
> standard video codec that any web browser can stream.
>
> It seems like (c) shouldn't be too hard to hack up...

See above, as far as I can tell x11vnc can already do all of this.

Kind regards,
Andrei