Re: .profile not being src'd at login on uptodate buster

On 4/11/21, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 09:11:47AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
>> On Sat 10 Apr 2021 at 15:21:57 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
>> > I'm not a fan of it, because I actually like to export PS1, rather
>> > than setting it in .bashrc every time.  I may be in the minority there.
>>
>> Exported from .[bash_]profile? I don't do that because the terminal
>> type might be different (login on VC, but prompt in an xterm).
>
> >From .profile, typically.  Although I'm actually not doing it right now.
>
> The terminal type is irrelevant.  I don't put terminal escape sequences
> in my PS1.

<aside>
really?!!  What do you have in PS1?
</aside>

> I thought we were talking about "protecting" a section of a dot file so
> that the noisy commands (fortune, cal, date, etc.) would only execute
> when you're actually logging in, or actually launching a terminal,
> and not when you're running scp, or other scripted stuff.

That was probably me, forgetting how to redirect to stderr (fd 2?) and
sidetracking the conversation into "echo foo" is a Really Bad Thing in
a dot file and How To Do It Right.

What I'm more interested in is how to prevent this kind of exchange:

> > # set PATH so it includes user's private AppImages if it exists
> > if [ -d "$HOME/AppImages" ] ; then
> >     PATH="$HOME/AppImages:$PATH"
> > fi
> > =====
> > Both directories do exist.
>
> Prove it, by running  ls -ld $HOME/AppImages  in a terminal, and then
> pasting the shell prompt, the command, and its output from the terminal
> session into the body of the email.

IMO, the if test needs an else and the directory name shouldn't be
typed out multiple times -- it belongs in an e-var:

dir="$HOME/AppImages"
if [ -d "$dir" ] ; then
  PATH="$dir:$PATH"
else
  echo "OnNoes!! The directory \"$dir\" does not exist!" >&2
fi

Regards,
Lee