Re: .profile not being src'd at login on uptodate buster

On Thu, 2021-04-08 at 07:50 +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2021-04-07, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 09:41:51PM +0000, Lee wrote:
> > > Interesting..  "echo foo" in .bashrc does break scp, but not "echo foo >2"
> >
> > That redirects to a file named "2".
> >
> > > .. but that doesn't work for bash, so hhrmm.. > /dev/stderr seems to
> > > work in all cases:
> >
> > You wanted >&2 .
>
> What about addressing his primary point rather than what in my
> benefit-of-the-doubt humor I construe as a typographical oversight?

Given Lee's statement it seems likely to me that he indeed tried the
incorrect redirection ">2" and it would be worthwhile pointing this
out, certainly not warrant criticism.

I believe ">/dev/stderr" is not Posix standard and knowing the correct
standard way of doing this could be beneficial.

--
Tixy