Re: Access to PPA's

On 4/7/21 2:06 PM, Gary L. Roach wrote:
Hi all,

Some of my most useful software is only available through Ubuntu PPA's . I can no longer access PPA's since Debian changed their security policies. When trying to access a PPA I get the following:

 The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/elmer-csc-ubuntu/elmer-csc-ppa/ubuntu hirsute Release' does not have a Release file. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

The man page alludes to a couple of different ways to bypass the system but really sketchy about how to apply them. There is at least a half dozen files that could be involved. Further, there is a note that basically says that all of the methods will be discontinued in the future.  This would essentially  preclude the use of Ubuntu PPA's. The example given is for an elmer-csc package which is one of the most powerful opensource MultiPhysics analysis packages available.

Could someone show me how to bypass this security lock.
I have never tried this:
https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA

in theory it is possible

as others have said it might be better to use Ubuntu
I usually have other systems on separate partitions/drives for those odd tasks

Gary R.