Re: Dell R440 with Debian 10.7.0 Display Issues

On Tue 06 Apr 2021 at 15:53:43 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Ma, 06 apr 21, 12:00:53, Brian wrote:

> > > I think I asked my question first.
>
> My reply was needlessly harsh, though definitely not intended as such.

No problem. I shouldn't get grumpy :( and did try to retrieve the
situation :).

> I'm still curious where you got the impression that d-i loads firmware
> for network hardware only.

The installer kernel doesn't contain any modules for, for example,
Radeon and Intel graphics. Therefore, firmare loadiding for video
hardware cannot take place. This can sometimes lead to a user
getting a completely black screen when booting into the new system.

Drivers for many common network devices are included with the
installer kernel.

> > However, perhaps the hw-detect udeb will shed some light on the matter.
>
> I'd assume that any firmware package present on the unofficial installer
> is meant to be installed by d-i. It also seems much easier to me to just
> install any firmware (package) needed than to specifically filter for
> network devices only.

I can conceive of a user installing video packages to /target but the
installer by itself (AFAICT) does not do it.

--
Brian.