Re: Temporary failure in name resolution

On 02.04.2021 22:56, Dan Norton wrote:
Alexander V. Makartsev wrote Wed, 31 Mar 2021 10:16:08 +0500:

"Is "192.168.1.254" an IP address of your DSL modem?
If you don't need to resolve hostnames from you local network, like
"somepc1.attlocal.net" and only want to access the Internet, you can
configure one or more of the public DNS servers. From Google [1]:
8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
>From CloudFlare [2]:
1.1.1.1"

I don't know. I did not put that line in /etc/resolv.conf. When I get
more time I may remove it and see what happens.
If you didn't put that line in /etc/resolv.conf, then probably it was configured by DHCP client, which used the information send by your DSL modem.
That would explain "attlocal.net" lines.
Do you have administrative access to your DSL modem's configuration web interface?
Or is it a leased device that was configured by your ISP and you don't have the option to configure it?

If you have the access to DSL modem, you can configure its DHCP server to always send proper DNS server addresses, like "1.1.1.1", "8.8.8.8", instead of "192.168.1.254".
Alternatively, and if you don't have the access to DSL modem, you can modify "dhclient.conf" file to effectively override name server addresses sent by your modem with known good ones.
This procedure is described in Debian Wiki. [1]
Basically, all you have to do is add at the end of the file this string:
    supersede domain-name-servers 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1,8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4;

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf#Modifying_.2Fetc.2Fdhcp.2Fdhclient.conf
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀