Re: Minisforum X35G hangs on first boot. [Solved]

   a question.  are you installing using graphics mode or
not?  it not then the next bit might make a difference.

   all i can think of is that the hardware may be so new
that buster may not work for some hardware reason.

   i suggest trying a netinst iso from the debian installer
for the upcoming release.  there are versions that are
fairly recent (daily and/or weekly), but i don't check
often as to which actually run.

   if you are installing with graphics working during the
install but then for some reason it isn't working any
more, well that doesn't make sense.

   try not installing desktop at all to see if it will boot
that ways.  you can always add a desktop later.

Songbird, thanks for your help. I found out some more. Linux was booting after all. It appeared to be hung because I did not get a login prompt. I booted sysrescuecd and began inspecting logs and then hit ctrl-alt-1 and voila, I get login prompt. After that some more digging showed lightdm is failing and that is why I was not getting login prompt. It failed because Xorg failed and Xorg failed because /dev/dri is missing. It appears that 10 gen intel cpu graphics is not supported in 4.19 kernel. I added buster-backports and updated and installed 5.10 kernel. Everything works now. I am good.

I also started another thread on debian-user on above X server issue. I closed that also with this message.

Regards
Ramesh