Re: fail2ban Squawk

Martin McCormick writes:

/lib/systemd/system/fail2ban.service:12: PIDFile= references path below legacy directory /var/run/, updating /var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid → /run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid; please update the unit file accordingly.

	So I looked in to that file and the actual line they were
referring 2 is numbered 15 and points fail2ban.pid to
/var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid where it certainly lives with a
recent date.  What is the problem exactly?

I am not sure about the "why" behind all this, but the preference of /run over /var/run is documented in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard:

https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s15.html

On my Debian 10 system, /var/run is a symlink to /run, allowing for compatibility with programs using that path.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö