Re: WiFi Hardware not detected, during Debian NetInst Install

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021, 12:09 PM David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Wed 24 Mar 2021 at 22:25:42 (-0600), Charles Curley wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 22:52:31 -0500 David Wright wrote:
>
> > ... [W]e haven't yet been shown any direct evidence of
> > which module drives the 8723, nor of what firmware it uses.
> > (These can easily be determined from dmesg when the installed
> > system is running.)
>
> Also, more detail from /var/log/syslog while d-i is running, and
> from /var/log/installer/ after installation is complete.

Yes, that was my very next sentence, which you snipped: "This should
allow a more focussed report from the installation logs (of which
we've seen nothing IIRC)."

But it appears that I might need to point out that it's very easy and
quick to re-collect a failing installation log at any time if the
"original" ones were lost/overwritten or whatever:

 1. Boot with the appropriate installation medium.

 2. Proceed with expert installation in the original manner,
    as far as the "Detect Network Hardware", which of course fails.

 3. After the failure, and back at the Main Menu, select
    "Save debug logs".

 4. Insert a USB stick, switch to VC2, mount the stick and create
    a directory on it.

 5. Back at VC1, complete the directory name at the prompt and
    save the logs. (ls on VC2 if you want to check them.)

 6. Select "Abort the installation". All that should have taken
    about five or ten minutes so far.

 7. Read/edit/post excerpts from the logs at leisure. (That's when
    it helps to know what strings you're looking for.)

Since the actual logs from the Install are small, I proceeded, up to # 6.  And then, tarred the resulting directory, and sent it to the Bug Report.

That's what's lacking from the bug report.

Hopefully, this will help.

The OP wrote "The Problem is Recreated. It's hard to figure out how
to describe something so early in the Install Process."

That's how you do it.

I overlooked the presence of the Debug Logs.

Cheers,
David.

Kenneth Parker