Re: Could a product with Chipset information for USB WiFi access dongle be advised please?

On 2021-03-25 18:15 +0530, Susmita/Rajib wrote:

> Could you please suggest me an USB WiFi dongle that is recommended by
> Debian and available in India?
> https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi#USB_Devices
> and
> https://wiki.debian.org/DeviceDatabase/USB
>
> Problem with Amazon is that the chipsets are not available with the
> product. How could I find a product that would have the listed
> chipset?
>
> I ordered these two products without any possibility for comparison
> with the said Debian Pages:
>
> (1)
> TP-Link USB WiFi Adapter for PC(TL-WN725N), N150 Wireless Network
> Adapter for Desktop - Nano Size WiFi Dongle Compatible with Windows
> 10/7/8/8.1/XP/ Mac OS 10.9-10.15 Linux Kernel 2.6.18-4.4.3
>
> This one identifies itself on the USB port as: 0bda:8179
> The full lsusb output:
> Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
> RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter

I have been using that device for a few days, seems to working mostly
fine.  Only tested it with Linux 5.10, though (the kernel in
bullseye/unstable).

Some observations/caveats:

- The firmware-realtek package is required.

- The r8188eu module for the dongle is in the staging area, as it does
  not quite meet the kernel developers' standards, a problem with
  various Realtek drivers.  In theory it might even be removed some day,
  but since it has been there for over seven years and the hardware is
  very popular this is highly unlikely to happen in practice.

- The activity LED on the dongle sometimes stays on during suspend and
  then remains in that state after resume until the device is
  re-plugged.  This may or may not bother you.

Considering the low price, I cannot really complain.

Cheers,
       Sven