Re: MATE desktop - changing icon of a Launcher

On Tue, 2021-03-23 at 09:26 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I've been use MATE almost since it came out.
> IIRC I used to use a series of mouse clicks to determine the file
> name
> {including path} of the current icon.
>
> On my current systems {one Stretch, one Buster} if I:

I am using Bullseye and Mate, for clarity, my icons are all on
taskbars, none are on the desktop.

>   1. right click on the Launcher
>   2. select properties
>   3. left click on the current icon
>
> I get a "Select Custom Icon" menu. In it I can select a directory to
> search and it will display a list of available icons in that
> directory.

I get "Choose an icon"

> But I need to know the complete path to the current icon.

The path to the current (icon) directory is listed above the icons you
can select from. You would have to note this down as it is not possible
to select it for cut and paste purposes.

> I can get the desired information by opening the launcher with a text
> editor. {I want a "mouse click" method to obtain the information as
> I'm
> setting up a system for a very novice user.}
>
> Suggestions?
> TIA

No help I know but it does not currently seem possible to do exactly
what you require.
Cheers,
Dom