Re: Replace a failed block device with null PV in an LVM VG

On 2021-03-24 12:37, Reco wrote:
Hi.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 10:26:49AM +0000, David Pottage wrote:
Is there a way to assemble the VG and mount those ext4 filesystems in
such a way that read attempts from the missing PV will return zeros,
but the rest of the filesystem will work?

Try this:

vgchange --activationmode partial -ay
lvs
# immediately dump logical volume in question somewhere with cat/dd
cat /dev/<vg>/<lv> > lv.img
vgchange -an <vg>
# run fsck -f on a copy of logical volume
fsck -f lv.img
# try mounting it
mount -o loop lv.img /<mountpoint>

Thanks, that partly worked. It was an older version of LVM2, so I had to modify the command line syntax to "vgchange --partial -ay <VG>"

I was then able to mount the damaged volumes and get back nearly half of the lost files. I had a separate record of SHA1 checksums of all the lost files and all the recovered files have been checked and are undamaged.

Thanks for your help.

--
David Pottage