Re: Debian Stable Updates Announcement SUA 197-1

On Tue 23 Mar 2021 at 09:31:52 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
> On 3/22/21 8:34 PM, David Wright wrote:

> > > Please provide a URL.
> >
> > Do you mean for the .deb files themselves. AIUI they're in the
> > pool with all the rest. As for the changes files, they're in
> >
> > http://XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/debian/dists/buster-proposed-updates/
> >
> > where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is whatever you put in /etc/apt/sources.list
> > as your local mirror.
>
> Thank you for the response.
>
> Browsing:
>
>     http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/buster-proposed-updates/
>
> Yes, I do see many *.changes files (one for each package and
> architecture combination).
>
> But, that does not tell me how to *use* the information presented --
> e.g. that proposed Debian Stable updates are available (for testing).

I would say "for trying out"; "testing" is rather ambiguous in this context.

> Assuming that I start with a fresh install of:
>
>     debian-10.8.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso
>
> How do I download and/or install the proposed updates?
>
> That is the URL I need.

It's not a URL, but just another line in sources.list.

But I myself prefer to just download .debs automatically with the
usual three lines:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free

… and a cron job, then peruse and install them; and I treat
point releases in just the same way.

Cheers,
David.