Re: Debian Stable Updates Announcement SUA 197-1

On Ma, 23 mar 21, 07:52:52, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2021-03-23 at 07:43, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > I think the request was really "Please tell us how to use this
> > buster-proposed-updates thing, which I've never heard of before."
> >
> > Here's a wiki page: <https://wiki.debian.org/StableProposedUpdates>
> > However, I would not follow its advice literally.  You *never* want
> > to put the word "stable" in your sources.list.  You want to put the
> > actual name of a release instead.
>
> That depends on what your update patterns are. It's probably generally
> good advice, but it's certainly not universal.

Agreed. I seem to remember some postings from users that had 'stable' on
purpose in their sources.list.

> > So, wherever the wiki says to use stable-proposed-updates, please
> > use buster-proposed-updates instead.
>
> This is generally reasonable, however. My update pattern is unlikely to
> be typical, and might be considered a special use-case.

Also, those who do have 'stable' in their APT package sources will know
to use 'stable' for -updates and -proposed-updates as well, so the wiki
should probably be changed.

Kind regards,
Andrei