Re: Running a FreeBSD guest

didier gaumet wrote:

> > What's the minimum software kit to run a couple of FreeBSD guests
> > (serial console, no graphics needed) on a Debian 10 host?
> >
> > I don't need any fancy management GUI like that of VirtualBox, would
> > just prefer some minimalistic hypervisor managed from the CLI. The
> > ability to access the host's raw disk devices from the guest would be a
> > great advantage.
>
> - if your last sentance is correctly enounced, I do not understand your
> usecase

My usecase would be, among other things, to access external media
attached to the host from inside the guest, e.g. those partitioned and
encrypted in FreeBSD-specific ways (geli encryption, gbde etc).

> nor did I know that it is possible

It is quite possible in bhyve (FreeBSD's hypervisor). You just tell the
hypervisor that this guest's disk is not a file but a device in /dev/.

> > Please don't just say "kvm" or any other single word but give a pointer
> > to a good step-by-step document.
>
> This one will probably do:
>  https://wiki.debian.org/SystemVirtualization
> (particularly the 3rd chapter "System Virtualization" if I understand your
> usecase)

This is a comprehensive document. In your opinion, what's the best,
simplest and most convenient CLI management tool around kvm?

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/