Re: mdadm and whole disk array members

On 2021-03-22 18:49, Andy Smith wrote:
Hi Gary,

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 06:20:56PM -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
I suggest that, since it appears the developers can't get this work
reliably, that the option to use the whole disk be removed and mdadm insist
on using partitions. At the very least, mdadm --create should issue a
warning that using a whole device instead of a partition may create
problems.
I've been using whole disks in mdadm arrays for more than 15 years
across many many servers on Debian stable and have never experienced
what you describe. There must be something else at play here.

I suggest you post a detailed description of your problem to the
linux-raid mailing list and hopefully someone can help debug it.

     https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid#Mailing_list

Cheers,
Andy

It's not just me but a lot of other people have been having the same problem. It's been reported many times as I discovered after trying to use whole disks. Moreover, the fixes that I'd used in the past don't seem to work reliably without partitions.

There doesn't seem to be a downside to using partitions considering that partition tables have never taken up any significant amount of space. It was an interesting experiment / learning experience but I've decided that it's not worth going further so I'm going back to using disks with a single partition.