Re: [EVEN MORE OFFTOPIC] Re: [?] Why should Distros be called as i386 for a 32-bit PC, and as amd64 for a 64-bit PC, when Intel Core PCs are also 64bit systems

On Monday 15 March 2021 09:53:40 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 09:31:05AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 15 March 2021 07:05:02 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 11:09:35AM +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Too lazy to research now, but it sounds credible, yes.

> > > Or the Z8000. Absolutely. 8086 was, architecturally, the worst
> > > possible choice at that time.
> >
> > That, IIRC was a new, super shiny, thing from zilog. No experience
> > with it, but if it was as unreliable as the z-80, was, I'm not sorry
> > it failed. The Z-80 had an instruction that swapped the
>
> [...]
>
> I take that back. Z8000 was a 16 bit data/24 bit address thing; it
> did have a segmented architecture, so it wasn't as "clean" as I
> remembered it. At that time I was just a little student, so my
> "experience" with that stuff was to drool over design articles
> in the usual magazines (EE, AFAIR).
>
> Cheers
>  - t
Snerk. We all did that back in the day, Tomas. that and similar magazines
were this 8th grade graduates electronics education. Do they still exist
today? Retired now, so the subs expired.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis