Re: [EVEN MORE OFFTOPIC] Re: [?] Why should Distros be called as i386 for a 32-bit PC, and as amd64 for a 64-bit PC, when Intel Core PCs are also 64bit systems

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 09:15:10AM +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:

[...]

> For the others: they where either on board from the start (like HP),
> where already dead (like DEC/Compaq) or slipping into the embedded
> market (like MIPS).

MIPS had its chance to become the unified architecture for high-end
workstations [1]. Until it was bought up by Silicon Graphics (SGI).
Which, on the one hand was bitterly needed by MIPS, because they
needed that cash injection, and by SGI, because they depended on the
MIPS architecture.

On the other hand, though, all other workstation developers, in fierce
competition with SGI, didn't want /that/ dependency and went to look
for/make other architectures (Power, Alpha, PA, you name it).

So on the one hand, we might have, these days, been running on MIPS;
on that other hand, we wouldn't have ARM, and -- who knows, soon,
Risc-V. And Linus Torvalds wouldn't have had this cool stint at
Transmeta. But that is a totally different kettle of fish.

Or is it?

> --
> Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

:-)

Reminds me of an error message somewhere deep in TeX's or
METAFONT's bowels (sorry, from memory, therefore imprecise)
asking for "...someone to fix me fix me".

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Computing_Environment

 - t