Re: Google vs. DDG (was: Social-media antipathy)

On Du, 14 mar 21, 10:03:44, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> I think by now every avid reader will have an idea of what's going on.
> The whole fuzzball of metadata you share with Google (your IP address,
> your browser version, the whole compost heap of cookies, browser metrics
> prior search history with Google and affiliates -- all of that kaboodle
> is part of your search query, without you knowing it.

In my case the company laptop connects to the internet via a VPN to the
head office in a different country, so it tends to show me results from
that country instead, whereas I prefer global results in most cases.

For searches from my private device I often want results from yet
another country.

> If you /want/ to get back part of that control, you have to understand
> that. When you search with DDG, you have to ask yourself: "since they
> don't know, how can I narrow the search context?".
>
> After a while, this becomes second nature, and DDG results start being
> more or less as good as Google's.

With DDG I can easily specify whether I want "local" results and for
which country.

Kind regards,
Andrei