Re: Trusting trust [was: PARTIAL DIAGNOSIS of Installation problems]

On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 05:18:38PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > The part that I find more interesting is the "emergent evil" thing.
> > Somehow the techies found that it is OK to do that and they did,
> > in the best of their intentions.
>
> I'm not surprised: it's quite common to want to get some kind of
> information about how your program performs (i.e. things like profiling
> your code), and it's often hard to get a good view of that with
> artificial local tests, so there's a strong motivation to try and do
> that profiling on "in real life".

Yes, but... letting your compiler plant bugs into someone else's
software to phone back to *you*... chutzpah. Had to be Microsoft.

> Emacs's tradition is to be quite conservative when it comes to
> initiating network connections, but nowadays many if not most
> applications have some kind of "call home" functionality (e.g. to check
> if there's a more recent release).  It's absurdly considered normal.

Emacs hasn't the kind of culture which would approve of something
like that willy-nilly. That's what I appreciate about it.

Cheers
 - t