Re: Trusting trust [was: PARTIAL DIAGNOSIS of Installation problems]

On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 19:05:38 +0100
tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2021 at 11:16:25AM -0500, Celejar wrote:

> > I know I can't avoid the risk
> > entirely, but this is one of the reasons I try hard to limit my use of
> > software to stuff in the repos. I understand it's no magic bullet
> > against this type of thing, but in my (not very informed) judgment, it's
> > less likely to happen to stuff that Debian is vetting. I.e., I'm hoping
> > that all those hoops that Debian makes packages jump through, which
> > prevent stuff I do want from entering the repos, will work here in my
> > favor ;)
>
> That's my approach, too; but I realise that trust is, at the bottom,
> a social thing. Technology can only be a tool in this.
>
> The "classical" distro way is becoming more and more difficult; for
> "monsters" like Chrome, the distribution can't vet everything, and as
> software becomes more and more entangled (with version dependencies
> on the newest micro-version), people resort more and more to docker
> images, flatpaks and what have you.

Indeed. Recent example: I wanted to learn Kotlin and try some simple
Android development. Neither IntelliJ IDEA nor Android Studio are in
the repos, so I had to install them from upstream's tarballs and hope
for the best. I suppose I could have been more principled and installed
them to VMs or containers - maybe I should still reconsider and do that.

Celejar