Re: Installation problems

On 03/02/2021 04:13 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 03:42:27PM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 03/02/2021 02:31 PM, Brian wrote:
On Tue 02 Mar 2021 at 14:09:18 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

I've one fine machine running i386 flavor of Debian 9.13 .
I've wish to install 64 bit flavor on a second machine.
debian-10.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso was successfully downloaded & saved.

I've a couple of 8GB flash drives which have served as installation media in
past. IIRC I could use gparted to wipe them before using dd to copy the iso
to the entire device.

You do not need gparted to wipe them. Just write the ISO there with dd
or cp.

DUH!
I now have a minimal system installed.
I had forgotten that the installer doesn't recognize the USB device T-Mobile
provides to connect to the cell network. They sell it as a WiFi Hotspot but
I use it essentially as an old fashioned modem. I usually do installs from
DVD1 of the set. After an install everything "Just works" ;/

Any one know exactly what I need to add that would normally just be silently
installed. I just took it as part of "universal" in USB.

Thanks

What do lspci and lsusb report respectively? It's quite possible that you
might need non-free firmware.

The winner is
lsusb
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 1bbb:0195 T & A Mobile Phones

Non-free is enabled in sources.list of my working system.
How do I identify the crucial piece of software?