Re: Unable to boot on Xen HVM + OVMF

Hi didier,

Thanks for prompt reply.

I installed Debian Buster with UEFI boot on my ThinkPad P52 successfully without any boot problem.

I think it is related to Xen HVM + OVMF.

Anyone has an idea what went wrong ?

Thanks.

John Mok

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021, 16:50 didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> wrote:

I have never used Xen but I use Qemu/KVM via virtmanager on a Debian 10
  host. I have installed several UEFI (OVMF) booting guest OSes,
including Debian with no particular problem.

The problem of your Debian guest not booting could be caused by the
Debian installer not being run in UEFI mode, the media upon Debian is to
be installed being not GPT type, the mandatory EFI partition being
absent, the GRUB bootloader being not installed or incorrectly set-up,
and so on...

Debian installation guide (UEFI and general):
  https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch03s06.en.html#UEFI
  https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/index.en.html

There is an OVMF page on the Xen wiki, detailing setup and troubleshooting:
  https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/OVMF