Re: Debian install Question

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 01:36:58AM +0300, IL Ka wrote:

> > Please do not do that.
> >

> > You will find a iso here which includes most of the non-free firmware here:
> >
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/10.8.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-dvd/
> >
> > Please take the time to read AND understand the information on that site.
> >

> I am sorry for giving inadequate advice. Please forgive me as I am new to
> Debian.

No worries. Things happen -- and in this case you happened to step
onto a sticky issue which has no "nice" solution. The two extremes

 (a) Debian should be a free distribution. If you're holding a
   Debian "CD" [1] on your hands, you should be safe trusting
   that all the stuff in there is free to use, study, modify
   and give to others

 (b) Debian should be welcoming to newbies, it should be easy
   to install

This is a point of conflict, and won't be solved as long as there
are hardware companies out there saying "my firmware is MINE and
you are not allowed to redistribute it" while at the same time
spreading this oh-too-valuable-stuff all over the Internets.

Back to Debian. The solution is to create some "enhanced" distributions
to cater for (b), but they cannot be Debian because of (a) and are
clearly marked as such. Rightly so.

Of course there are very opinionated people who say "scratch (a). Who
cares about freedom? It's all about convenience/market share/whatever".

Likewise you'll find opinionated people at the other end of the
spectrum.

Back to you. You offered your help. Thanks for that. That's what
this list thrives on. Again: *thank you*.

And yes: I found Henning's dry "Please do not do that" quite a
bit too harsh. Let's blame it on mail as a limited communication
medium. Don't let that discourage you.

Cheers

[1] Remember those times with CDs and things?

 - t