Re: How to self-load non-freeware firmware on existing netinst ISO installer

On 2021-02-24 11:07 a.m., Brian wrote:
On Wed 24 Feb 2021 at 22:51:05 +0800, Robbi Nespu wrote:

[...]

TLDR; I want  firmware-iwlwifi  already loaded and working during Debian
installation phase, not after install.

This is from memory; I haven't done it for some time.

1. The USB stick you boot from will have empty space or a secomd
    partition.

2. Extract the firmware files from the .deb and put them on the
    stick.

3. Boot and change to console 2: ALT-F2.

4. Mount the partition holding the firmware on /mnt.

5. Create /lib/firmware: mkdir /lib/firmware and transfer the
    firmware there.

6. ALT-F1 to go back to d-i. d-i should now find the firmware.

Alternatively, you can extract the firmware files to a different USB stick and put them in the root of that one, insert both and the installer will find the files when you boot the original USB stick.
--
Regards,

John Boxall