Re: Got a machine name problem

Tom Browder (tom.browder@gmail.com) wrote:
> For my LAN hosts as well as my WLAN hosts, I have always used the
> /etc/hosts file and have never touched the default /etc/resolv.con file.
>
> I have never had any problems with connecting to any of those hosts except
> when  adding a new host snd needing to get ssh installed.

This is how things were configured in the early 1980s.  It works, as
long as you can maintain all of those copies of your hosts file, across
however many machines you have.

The disadvantages should be clear.  Every time you add a new host,
you have to go and edit the hosts file on *every other* host, so they
all know about the new guy.  Each time a host moves and gets a new IP
address, you have to edit *every* single hosts file.  And so on.

With a small number of hosts, with no changes occurring, you may be fine,
and you'll never need to change how you work.

For everyone else, there's DNS.