OT: Spicy stuff in sensitive areas (was Re: Got a machine name problem)

On 2021-02-24 at 00:05, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> Arthritis at 86 is beginning to make that painful. :(
>>
>> I don't believe in crossing fingers either  FWIW, I pick my nose
>> instead, and I think it works just as well (but be careful not to
>> do that right after chopping some habanero),
>
> And that rather sounds like the voice of experience :(

Puts me in mind of an anecdote one of my uncles told me, regarding himself.

We're all probably familiar with the little crusty bits that sometimes
have to be wiped out of the eyes after waking up in the morning. (From
what I can tell, these seem to happen more frequently after increased
consumption of sodium or the like.)

An uncle of mine once told me that he used to have to do that on a
regular basis, but then at some point in his life he put a drop of *hot
sauce* into each eye as one does with eyedrops (from what I gather,
apparently intentionally) - and although that was astoundingly painful,
he's never had those little crusty bits again.

I have never dared, nor even seriously had the impulse, to try that
experiment for myself. As to whether it has any basis in empirical fact,
your guess is as good as mine.

--
   The Wanderer