Re: shadowy, sort of fly by night debian mirrors? ...

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 08:45:08AM -0500, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  1) as I used a known public hotspot connection, there was a new
> hotspot advertising itself as "Wifi4EU" (of course, I didn't bite that
> bait)

Does not really seem relevant to a remote Debian mirror, unless you
are suggesting that someone has set up a rogue wifi hotspot in that
particular location and used it to distribute compromised Debian
images, which seems rather far-fetched.

>  2) getting a connection through (apparently) the right hotspot took
> way more time than expected

I'm not saying it's aliens
but it's aliens.

>  3) downloads were being redirected real time

OK? Web servers are allowed to issue redirects, and you're being
redirected to another hostname at the same org, so doesn't seem very
suspicious.

Right, so it's just saying you requested something at ftp.acc.umu.se
but it's HTTP redirecting you to chuangtzu.ftp.acc.umu.se which
doesn't have a TLS certificate with the name "ftp.acc.umu.se".

Many Debian mirrors don't support HTTPS enough to have a TLS cert in
the correct name and/or a debian.org name. I think you can use host
deb.debian.org in your sources.list to hit a Fastly CDN node that is
network-wise reasonably close to you and will work with TLS without
complaint, though you don't know what transports it uses between
itself and the origin servers in the background.

>  5) the mirror debian site (ftp.acc.umu.se) had smelly prefixes as
> subdomains (apparently Chinese transliterations) {chuangtzu, laotzu}

Why do Chinese names seem "smelly" to you?

>  6) whois registry for umu.se

Unclear why the domain registry info for a Swedish university is of
any bearing…

>  7) the md5 and sha1 hashes that I computed could not be found online
>
> 0296cfbeaf3823055901d7ad2077a077
> 0b742d83d23207db9a24553100d4155eb8c701bf debian
> 10.8.0-amd64-DVD-2.iso
> 37baf26293b8132fe95b4bd19262ca6b
> 122a2612ed63ff89db56eec0765e87268bf72318 debian
> 10.8.0-amd64-DVD-3.iso

Those SHA1 hashes do appear here on another mirror:

    http://mirrorservice.org/sites/cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/10.8.0/amd64/iso-dvd/SHA1SUMS

though they seem to be associated with different files in the
sequence:

122a2612ed63ff89db56eec0765e87268bf72318 debian-10.8.0-amd64-DVD-2.iso
0b742d83d23207db9a24553100d4155eb8c701bf debian-10.8.0-amd64-DVD-3.iso

Was it a copy/paste error on your side that switched these around or
is that really what you downloaded?

> I later downloaded what seem to be the right files, anyway. They
> would make for some easy and nice forensic analysis (just
> extracting the content of those iso files, using find and diff)
> whenever I find the time to do so.

Knock yourself out but I don't see any indication that anything
nefarious has happened nor that you have downloaded tampered files,
so it just sounds like a huge waste of time.

If that's not the case and you did manage to download something that
claims to be a Debian ISO but isn't, please do tell us more.

I mean, worst case, they've somehow got the names of some genuine
files mixed up - because the SHA1 hashes match real Debian files but
with different names. That's assuming no mix up on your side. Unless
you are experiencing a SHA1 collision as well on top of everything
else.

Cheers,
Andy