Re: identifying my LInux machine on my LAN

On 2/17/21, Marc Auslander <marcslists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Scott <waterhorse@ultrasw.com> writes:
>

>>ssh and Bitvise still fail t o connect
>>
>>Paul
> /var/log/auth.log may show what's happening if the request gets that far.

I started to respond to this thread the other day then signed me out
when I tried to save my answer as a draft. So this is what I can
remember of it..

My *Bullseye* /var/log/kern.log has this line:

r8169 0000:01:00.0 enp1s0: renamed from eth0

The original post had something that was calling eth0 and eth1
"unknown". In this case, eth0 "automatically" being renamed to enp1s0
would make it become unknown if one was searching for its original
[nomenclature].

There is at least one way to rename it BACK to eth0 if one prefers
that. I've done it but had a bad enough experience that I just let it
stay renamed.

PS This is the FIRST TIME I've seen THIS:

rt2800pci 0000:07:00.0 wlo1: renamed from wlan0

At least rfkill and thus possibly other related packages were upgraded
this morning. I don't know if that's when THAT renaming occurred, but
there it is. It's of note to me because I just grep'ed for "renamed"
in the last two days and only received eth0 back until JUST NOW. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *