Re: identifying my LInux machine on my LAN - some success

On 2/17/21 10:03 AM, IL Ka wrote:

paul@Joy4:~/music/pima$ systemctl status ssh``

● ssh.service - OpenBSD Secure Shell server
      Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ssh.service; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
      Active: active (running) since Tue 2021-02-16 11:53:13 MST; 21h ago
        Docs: man:sshd(8)
              man:sshd_config(5)
    Main PID: 359457 (sshd)
Before replying to your help below I can now connect from my Mac on the same LAN both with ssh to the IP of this machine and through my dynamic DNS address.  I'll try Bitvise from the local Windows machine soon.

And what about the ip address and port number?

Check your ip:
$ ip addr
I should have replied ealier that the above gives the correct IP address.

Check which ports are opened:
$ sudo ss -tl4p

Check which ip/port ssh is configured for
$ sudo sshd -T | grep list

paul@Joy4:~/music/pima$ sudo sshd -T | grep list
listenaddress [::]:22
listenaddress 0.0.0.0:22
permitlisten any

I'll try the following in a while/

 Try to ping it from your Windows machine.
c:\> ping [your_linux_ip_addr]
does it work?
Then, try to connect to port 22 using telnet to see if connection could be made.

In Admin powershell
PS C:\>  Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName TelnetClient
PS C:\>  telnet [your_linux_ip_addr]

Thank you,

Paul