Re: Conflicting alternatives

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 02:40:33PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > Exactly. This is user-y stuff: imagine two X servers running on behalf
> > of two users [...]

> Not sure in which way this is different from running two different SMTP
> servers on two different interfaces.

Technically not much, granted. Perhaps I haven't made clear that I
perceive that distinction as somewhat artificial.

Organisationally, and from the POV of a multi-user system, every user
has an own X server at her disposal (be it running on the host itself,
be it running on separate hardware), whereas there's just one MTA
running on the server for all users.

> > The start (@Kevin: still listening?) would be to unpackage a package,
> > hack the Conflicts: (& friends) fields, try to install both and watch
> > the fireworks. Then fix the issues one by one.
>
> FWIW, I've done such surgeries occasionally (e.g. to install old Emacs
> packages), but it's not fun.

Of course not. But it'll be the only way to find out which stumbling
blocks lie beyond the package-imposed "conflicts". And then, perhaps,
convince the DDs That Be.

[...]

> No, that option is exactly what I excluded between the square brackets

Ah, got that now.

> because it only applies during the execution of the command (so you end
> up with a system in a broken state and from then on dpkg/apt will just
> keep complaining about it until you revert it), whereas what we need is
> more like a config file listing conflicts we want to keep ignoring (I've
> similarly wanted some way to list package dependencies that dpkg should
> currently ignore).

agreed. Such a system isn't the one you want to be "living on" for
a longer period.

[...]

> I can't see any reason why it should be fundamentally hard to make
> dpkg/apt ignore some conflict/require statements.  Maybe it would take
> a fair bit of changes to the existing code if we want to make it work
> seamlessly (or maybe not, I don't know), but if so, it's only because
> the code was not written with such a situation in mind.

I'm not very much into Debian's dependency resolver; the only I
gather (from experience and from reading things, so take with a
fist of salt) is that it's less trivial than it seems.

I have the hunch that just making the packages co-installable is
the more pleasant avenue...

Cheers
 - t