Re: Serifed, variable-pitch font.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 07:50:13PM -0800, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> What serifed, variable-pitch font is available to Firefox and most
> contemporary browsers?  I want to specify a font-family in inline
> styling.  Preferably to work in MacOS and MS Windows as well as Linux.

If all you want is a serif font and care to be portable, your best
choice will be to specify a generic "serif", like so:

  font-family: serif

You can be more specific, though. People will tell you things like
brand recognition and all that. If you have no strong reason, the
above is the friendliest, because it'll leave the rest up to the
user's preferences.

The gory details are well explained here [1].

And oh, if you end up referencing a web font out there, consider
using a free one and hosting it yourself. If you refer to one
"out there" (perhaps --GASP!-- the google), think about how you
are selling your user's data for nothing in return (to them!).

Cheers

[1] https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_font.asp

 - t