Re: official list of alternatives?

On 2021-02-14 01:57 +0300, IL Ka wrote:

> Hello.
>
> There is a list of alternatives in ``sensible-browser`` including
> ``www-browser``, ``x-www-browser`` etc.
>
> This makes me think that all alternatives must be documented somewhere in
> debian policy.

What makes you think so?  Many alternatives have only two or three
implementations, sometimes from the same source package.

> Something like "each developer of X-based browser must register it as
> x-www-browser alternative".
>
> However, I haven't found anything except "pager" and "editor" (section 11)
> Do I miss something?

At least x-terminal-emulator and x-window-manager are also mentioned.
But there are many others, on my system alone over 100:

,----
| $ ls /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives | wc -l
| 122
`----

Obviously it would not be practical to document them all in the policy.

Cheers,
       Sven