Re: btrfs?

On 2021-02-13 13:13, Steve Mynott wrote:
Is anyone running btrfs (either on bullseye or buster)?

I've been running on U20.04 and the stability seems fine and I wondered
if my experience was typical?

I ran several Stretch machines with btrfs. One was my daily driver. I never did any maintenance. After a year or so, the daily driver started slowing down, and Thunderbird starting losing e-mail messages when I tried to save them to my local disk (!).

I ran 'btrfs balance ...' repeatedly via a script and was able to get some improvements, but the desktop was too far gone. I wiped and reinstalled with ext4 on all of the machines.

It looks like there is a daemon for Buster and newer that can do periodic maintenance for btrfs. You might want to check that out:

https://wiki.debian.org/Btrfs#Maintenance

David