Re: How automatic are backport package updates?

On Sb, 13 feb 21, 11:57:42, Michael Grant wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 11:31:16AM -0500, songbird wrote:
> >   yes, but since Debian is run by volunteers and many of
> > them are very busy it has been talked about but not beyond
> > that.  the idea of rolling releases, always releasable, and
> > some other phrases has been discussed, but until enough
> > people get together to actually do it and prove that it
> > works and will be supported it won't happen.  unstable is
> > perhaps the closest currently coming to that idea, but
> > the freeze process pushes development off into experimental
> > or upstream until the freeze is done and then the whole
> > cycle comes up again.
>
> I understood that Unstable == Sid from Andrew's detailed message in
> this thread and it's also on confirmed on this page:
> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable.
>
> I was not thinking this would cause more (or significantly more
> anyway) work than we already do.  Dot releases are tested.  It might
> even be *less* work as upgrades would be incremental and smaller
> rather than large.
>
> Thinking back, this is one of the beauties of Testing is that things
> happen incrementally over time.  Sure, I may have to fix something
> here and there but that often turns out to be easier and less
> stressful than doing a major upgrade and having to set aside an entire
> weekend.

It depends a lot on your particular setup. Many users appreciate the
non-changing of stable and often go on using a particular release even
beyond it's EOL (against all advice).

Ubuntu started out with timed releases every 6 months (based on Debian
sid), but later introduced the LTS. Clearly there is demand for both
approaches.

Kind regards,
Andrei