Selection Shading Failures in Dark Themes

Using Thunderbird on completely updated testing/Sid system using only the main repository (so no non-free firmware) I'm seeing an unusual issue in the left pane of the mail client (where the folders are listed).

When the client is first started its appearance is normal, with whichever folder has been selected highlighted in blue. The moment another pane (like the message window) or the window of another application receives focus, the blue highlight in the folder window is lost. I think this part may be normal behavior. But when focus is returned to the folder list, the blue color does not return to the selected folder.

This does not occur with any of the light themes. On my system the behavior happens in the Adwaita-Dark, Arc-Dark, Blackbird, and Greybird-Dark themes under Xfce.

The video controller on this system:

Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-U GT3e [Iris Plus Graphics 655] (rev 01)

The same selection color issue is seen with variations of this behavior on two other systems with other Intel Corporation graphics subsystems.

All of the dark themes except for Adwaita-Dark also present fields being edited in GnuCash as black on very dark gray, making them just about impossible to use with that application, but I think this is probably unrelated to the other issue.

I can't file a bug report because I have no idea whether this is a:

1. driver problem
2. theme problem
3. problem with specific applications

If I can find a way to resolve it, I'll be grateful. The dark themes are very much easier on my particular set of eyes.

BTW, I have tried various other dark themes (all of the themes available in Debian's main repo, I think) to no avail.

I'd appreciate suggestions. I may not be quick to respond, but I'll do my best to get back in a timely manner.

Thanks,
JP