Re: dist-upgrade from buster fails badly

On 2021-02-12 at 06:02, thahn01@t-online.de wrote:

> Hello,
> I have installed 10.7 and then
> apt upgrade
> without any problems.
> However the following
> apt dist-upgrade
> failed badly and cannot be repaired with
> apt --fix-broken install
>
> Correcting dependencies... failed.
> ffmpeg : Depends: libavcodec58 (= 7:4.1.6-1~deb10u1)
> Depends: libavformat58 (= 7:4.1.6-1~deb10u1) but 7:4.3.1-8 is installed
> Depends: libavutil56 (= 7:4.1.6-1~deb10u1) but 7:4.3.1-8 is installed
> Depends: libswresample3 (= 7:4.1.6-1~deb10u1) but 7:4.3.1-8 is installed
> gimp : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.29) but 2.28-10 is installed
> libaa1 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.29) but 2.28-10 is installed
>
> Any advice?

What do the following commands give you?

$ apt-cache policy ffmpeg libavcodec58 libavformat58 libavutil56
libswresample3 libc6

$ apt-mark showhold

Also, do you have any package pins in /etc/apt/preferences or
/etc/apt/preferences.d/* ?

That said: dist-upgrade against sid is frequently a bad idea, and I am
not at all surprised that you ran into issues. The usual comment about
running sid is that "if anything breaks, you get to keep the pieces".

The best recommendation as I understand matters is to have sources.list
entries for both testing and sid, use /etc/apt/preferences to pin sid at
a priority which will never be chosen by default, and then install items
from sid selectively as needed.

If this is a production system rather than primarily a test machine, you
might be best served to reinstall, and this time not try to dist-upgrade
against sid en masse.

For myself, I have sources.list entries for stable and testing, and in
the rare case that I need something from sid, modify sources.list long
enough to 'apt-get update ; apt-get install [packagename]', then modify
sources.list to its previous state and run 'apt-get update' again.

--
   The Wanderer