Re: how to set link/level in wifi configuration?

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 22:37, Long Wind <longwind2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank David! below is your requested output by ubuntu and debian
> but link/level in debian is above 50, it's ok, i'm afraid it offer little clue to my problem

> output by ubuntu:
> zhou@zhou-Lenovo:~$ iw dev wlx502b73d50a69 link
> Connected to 06:74:9c:9b:f9:99 (on wlx502b73d50a69)
>         SSID: JHotel
>         freq: 2462
>         signal: -41 dBm

> output by debian:
> root@debian:~# iw dev wlx502b73d50a69 link
> Connected to 06:74:9c:6e:ca:6a (on wlx502b73d50a69)
>         SSID: JHotel
>         freq: 2412
>         signal: -53 dBm

It looks like you have 2 access points (AP) near you on the JHotel network.

Ubuntu is connecting to an AP using channel 11 (2462 MHz) at -41dBm
signal strength.
This is a good signal strength.

Debian is connecting to an AP using channel 1 (2412 MHz) at -53dBm
signal strength.
This is weaker than the other channel and will have worse performance.

I suggest you try to configure Debian to use channel 11.
You should look how best to do this on your computer.
On my computer (yours might be different) I would do it like this:

In the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf there will be
something like:
  network={
  ssid="JHotel"
  }

Add a line to specify the channel frequency like this.
  network={
  ssid="JHotel"
  frequency=2462
  }

The goal is that when you run
  # iw dev wlx502b73d50a69 link
you want to see:
  freq: 2462

Do NOT post your wpa_supplicant.conf file here,
because it contains private password information.

Some basic explanation:
https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html
https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/wifi-signal-strength-basics.html