Re: sshfs has fubared mount

On Mi, 10 feb 21, 07:31:51, Gene Heskett wrote:

> But where I was now forced to use root to make this newer subdir, because
> the re-organization of all this crap that hides root only commands from
> the user, now forced me to use root to make that new subdir even though
> I owned the parent directory. So I was by some, to me missquided
> thinking about security, forced to use root AND as root change the
> ownership to me before it would work as intended.

[unreproducible]

amp@acr13:~$ export LANG=C.UTF-8
amp@acr13:~$ ls -ld /
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4.0K 10 Feb 16:37 /

[/ is owned by root, naturally]

amp@acr13:~$ mkdir /testdir
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/testdir’: Permission denied

[no surprise here]

amp@acr13:~$ sudo mkdir /testdir
amp@acr13:~$ mkdir /testdir/subdir
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/testdir/subdir’: Permission denied

[no surprise here either, /testdir is owned by root]

amp@acr13:~$ sudo chown amp:amp /testdir
amp@acr13:~$ mkdir /testdir/subdir
amp@acr13:~$ ls -l /testdir
total 4.0K
drwxr-xr-x 2 amp amp 4.0K 10 Feb 16:38 subdir

[after changing permissions the 'mkdir' succeeds (as expected) and the
new directory is owned by 'amp' (as expected)]

Kind regards,
Andrei