question about installing debian or some linux system on an external hard drive

Hi everyone,

Is it possible and sensible to install debian or a linux system to an external hard drive connected to a system via the usb port, while keeping the current hard drive on the machine unchanged?

Where does one install grub2 and is grub2 to be installed before or after the installation of the auxiliary system on the external hard drive?

What are the various options for disk partitioning and if one intends to use docker as well would this change disk partitioning in particular logical volume management?

I have already viewed documents on debian website, but I am still unsure about the definitive steps.

Thank you in advance.