Re: Jus thinking - Low level X GUI with shaders

On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 10:53:19AM +0100, Marek Mosiewicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to share my thoughts considering remote appliation
> problem.
>
> In beginnig there was X server :) It was designed in mind to enable
> using of applications in distributed environment. You could open window
> which was just running on other computer.
[...]
> But I just look into idea that you do not need to do so. I think it
> could be possible to pass shader program to X server (even as string).
> This shader program could be whole GUI lib. It could manage theme,
> layouts, fonts, widgets, data model on its own on x server. It would
> depend on widget system how exchange data between client and server.
[...]

You have reinvented NeWS with Display PostScript
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeWS>. Don't get me wrong, it was a great
idea, ahead of its time, and not especially well (or efficiently)
implemented at the time, so it may well be ripe for reinvention. Given that
we have much better facilities for sandboxing and hardware accelerated
graphics than we did at the time, now might be the time.

> Cheers,
>    Marek Mosiewicz
>    http://marekmosiewicz.pl
--Gregory