Re: OT: Router behaviour

Mark Fletcher wrote:
> First apologies for the off-topic post, but I know this community is
> full of experts on this topic and my ask in the end is a simple one:

(and you can use Debian to achieve your ends)

> Can anyone point me at a reasonably accessible guide to the details of
> how IP networks work, in particular the communications that occur
> between router devices that are designed to support home networks? I'm
> computer science trained but from many years ago and if I ever learned
> these specific details I have forgotten them, but I feel equipped to
> understand them. I'm after a certain amount of detail and would prefer
> to avoid adverts or advice of the "just buy our product, plug it in and
> your problems will all be solved" type.

The most useful single doc is https://lartc.org/lartc.html
which, although omitting more recent developments, is an
excellent foundation in networking and routing aimed at the
small office or family sysadmin.

> I powered the router down again, plugged its WAN port into one of the
> LAN ports of the ISP-supplied router, and brought it back up. It came up
> but seems to have automatically subordinated itself to the ISP-supplied
> router and is now offering up IP addresses in the range supplied by the
> ISP's router... It seems like it has automatically taken a subordinate
> role to the ISP's router. It is still offering up the old network names
> with the old password but when I connect I get an IP address in the
> range used by the ISP's router (said address works fine).

Your description is a little lacking in details necessary to
diagnose precisely what is going on, but if you read through
LARTC, you will either figure it out yourself or be able to pose
an answerable question here.

At a lower level, the RFCs for NAT, DHCP, IPv6 SLAAC and RADVD
could be useful.

-dsr-