Re: Relocating The Imagemagick Command Widget

On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 03:35:38PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> FVWM. The (undecorated) widget always pops up at the same position
> relative to where the image window first popped up even if the latter
> has been moved or resized.  This can be inconvenient at times such as
> when the image is large.  "-geometry" helps but doesn't entirely
> eliminate the problem.

Well, there are a few places the position can be stored.  The application
itself might store it in some configuration file, typically inside your
home directory,  It might accept -geometry as a command-line argument.
Or, you might have configured fvwm to place the windows associated with
this application in a specific place, in your ~/.fvwm/config or equivalent
file.

I think you can specify starting position/geometry with "Style" commands,
but for some reason, mine is set up with a combination of Style, Move
and MoveToPage commands.  Apparently I did it this way because I bundled
this program with XMMS (the original one) in my startup and WM configs.

unicorn:~$ grep capn .fvwm/config
Style mp3capn		SkipMapping, StartsOnPage 0 0 1
+ I ThisWindow ("mp3capn") Move 600p 0p
+ I ThisWindow ("mp3capn") MoveToPage 0 1
+			"&5. Mp3 Cap'n"		Exec exec mp3capn

Here's some context from my .xsession file:

# XMMS has no -geometry option.  Its position is specified in .xmms/config.
# BUT WAIT!  That doesn't work either.  You have to toggle two options in
# the preferences window, AND add two Style options to the window manager,
# AND it still can't do a simple "-geometry +1325+1200"!  So fuck it.  It's
# close enough for now.

# Oh, hey, gxmms2 doesn't have -geometry either.  Isn't that special.
# (sleep 2; gxmms2) &

I used to use XMMS, but then I switched to xmms2, which has absolutely
no relationship to XMMS other than the name.  I tried gxmms2 briefly,
but abandoned that.  All of the cruft that was necessary with XMMS and
gxmms2 is still there, just adapted for new applications.

So, it might be possible to do what I'm doing in a much simpler way,
but since it's working right now, I'm not going to change it.

If you suspect you have configured fvwm to place your windows in a
specific spot, try grepping for the application's name in your fvwm
config and see what you find.