Re: Odd behavior of Debian 10.7 with MATE desktop

On 02/01/2021 08:47 AM, Gareth Evans wrote:
On Mon, 1 Feb 2021, at 12:46, Richard Owlett wrote:
I have just installed Debian 10.7 to my Lenovo T510 Thinkpad having
copied debian-10.7.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso to a flash drive [the machine is
intentionally isolated from the internet].

When logging in as user, everything appears normal.

*HOWEVER* when logged in as "root" the desktop *DOES NOT*:
    1. display a folder titled "root's Home"
    2. display icons for files in /root/Desktop
    3. display icons for file systems mounted when plugging in a flash
       drive [although Caja properly shows them to be in /media/root]

Any ideas? Is this a known bug?
TIA

I accidentally replied to Richard off-list - below for future ref...

If that was worst mistake I ever made .... <GRIN!>

Hi Richard,

Comments in the below say it's to prevent sudo/su invocations of caja
from taking over the desktop, but icons can be made to appear with with

caja --force-desktop

https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/issues/871

Some problems were caused with menus/dialogs though, as discussed in the link.

Best wishes,
Gareth

Thanks for the link.
As I categorically avoid *ANY* use of "sudo", I'll have to experiment to see if the recommended use of "caja --force-desktop" might cause me grief.