Re: Screen scaling and 4k support in libvirt with qemu/kvm

Linux-Fan writes:

Rainer Dorsch writes:

Hi,

with virtualbox, it is possible that the guest system rescales its screen if I change the window for the guest (and virtualbox guest tools are installed at
least). Does anybody know if that is possible with virt-manager/libvirt/qemu/
kvm?

It is certainly possible to set the guest resolution to exactly match the window size. I am not sure if it can be configured to _automatically_ adjust the guest resolution upon window size change though.

The protocol must support it, because I know that for Windows guest systems, the Windows resolution adjusts to the window size. Unlike with Linux guests, it does this in fixed steps of "common" monitor resolutions and thus does not usually match the exact window size but something smaller.

If you find out how to apply the sizes automatically on Linux, I'd be interested to learn how that works :) If no „solution” exists yet, it might be easy to script (although I have not bothered to do that so far).

Update: I found out how to enable automatic resizing:

* Install `qemu-guest-agent` in the VM in addition to running
  `spice-vdagent`
* Set Video model to VGA

This enables automatic resizing here although from "feeling" the graphics performance is worse than with QXL or virtio.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö