Re: audio support in libvirt with qemu/kvm

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 4:07 PM Rainer Dorsch <ml@bokomoko.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created a virtual machine using libvirt with qemu/kvm. To make it simple, I
> installed a Debian 10 guest on a Debian 10 host. I am wondering, if it is
> possible to access (pulse-)audio from the guest.

If you have - the optional but usually installed - package
qemu-system-gui then qemu is generally able to produce sound.
You said you drive your guest via libvirt, depending on your front end
to this it might just not have a sound device [1] configured.
You can usually add a sound device and select the type it emulates,
something like the following should do it:
  <sound model="ich9">

You can then check these things (in order)
1. is the sound device in the guest seen and initialized?
2. play some continuous sound/music from the guest - is there any error?
3. check hosts pavucontrol if you need to assign the qemu process to a
particular output?

[1]: https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#sound-devices