Re: Raid 1

mick crane wrote:

> I think I'll go with the first and last suggestion to just have 2 disks
> in raid1.
> It seems that properly you'd want 2 disks in raid for the OS, 2 at least
> for the pool and maybe 1 for the cache.
> Don't have anything big enough I could put 5 disks in.
> I could probably get 3 disks in. Install the OS on one and then dd that
> to another and put that in a drawer and have another 2 disks as the zfs
> pool. I might have a fiddle about and see what goes on.

Hi,
I have not followed this thread closely, but my advise is keep it as simple
as possible.
Very often people here overcomplicate things - geeks and freaks - in the
good sense - but still if you do not know ZFS or can not afford the
infrastructure for that, just leave it.

In my usecase I came with following solution:

md0 - boot disk (ext3)
md1 - root disk (ext4)
md2 - swap
md3 - LVM for user data (encrypted + xfs)

I have this on two disks that were replaced and "grown" from 200GB to 1TB
over the past 18y. Some of the Seagates I used in the beginning died and
RAID1 payed off.

Planning to move to GPT next md0 will be converted to EFI disk (FAT32) or I
will just create one additional partition on each disk for the EFI stuff.
I'm not sure if I need it at all, so I must be really bored to touch this.